Allo' Expat Japan - Connecting Expats in Japan
Main Homepage
Allo' Expat Japan Logo

Subscribe to Allo' Expat Newsletter

  Japan Expat Tips Menu
Japan Driving License
Japan Employment
Japan Legislation & Etiquettes
  Sponsored Links

Check our Rates

Japan Legislation


Declaring Goods

1. You are required to make either an oral or a written declaration about your belongings.

Two copies of a written declaration are required, if you have unaccompanied baggage, or if you have guns or swords.

Customs declaration forms are available on the plane, the ship, or at Customs.

2. The green and red channel system

Please choose either the green channel or the red channel.

a) The green channel is for passengers who have no goods subject to duty and/or tax and goods not prohibited or restricted for import.

b) The red channel is for all other passengers.

Please pay duties and/or taxes at the bank in the Customs inspection zone.

When the value of the dutiable goods exceeds three hundred thousand yen (¥300,000), customs procedures for commercial cargo are required.

Exempted Goods & Duty Free Items

Personal effects and unaccompanied baggage for personal use are free of duty and/or tax within the allowance specified below. (As for rice, the limit is 100kg a year) If you have both personal effects and unaccompanied baggage, please consider them together and refer to the allowance.

Personal effects & professional equipment
Clothes, toiletries, and other personal effects for your personal use, as well as portable professional equipment that will be used during your stay in Japan, are all free of duty and/or tax, if they are considered quantitatively appropriate and are not for sale.

Household Effects (including Automobiles)
If you are to move to Japan and to stay for more than one year, your or your family's household effects being used by the members of your family may be imported free of duty and/or tax within the limit deemed reasonable. Such household effects may include automobiles, boats, and other vehicles, provided that a registration certificates or sales receipts are presented to prove that the automobiles are used and that the boats have been in use for more than one year prior to its arrival in Japan.

Automobiles and other vehicles may be imported temporarily free of duty and/or tax provided they are subsequently exported.

Alcoholic Beverages, Tobacco Products, Perfume, etc
Moreover, allowances will be made for certain other articles within the limits specified below.

Duty Free Guide

Item Quantity Notes
Alcoholic beverages 3 bottles Approximately 760 ml per bottle
Cigarettes 400 If a visitor brings in more than one kind of tobacco product then the total allowance is 500 g. (e.g. loose tobacco)
Cigars 100
Others 500g
Perfumes 2oz 1 oz is equivalent to approx. 28 cc.   (excluding eau de cologne and eau de toilette)
Other items 200,000yen The total overseas market value of all articles other than the above items must be under 200,000 yen. Any item whose overseas market value is under 10,000 yen is free of duty and/or tax and is not included in the calculation of the total overseas market value of all articles. There is no duty-free allowance for articles having a market value of more than 200,000 yen each or each set.

See more information on the next page... (next)




copyrights ©
2015 | Policy